Hide

WOODKIRK: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.

hide
Hide
Hide

"WOODKIRK, (or West Ardsley, as it was formerly called), a parish in the lower division of the wapentake of Agbrigg, in the West Riding of the county of York, 4 miles to the N.W. of Wakefield. It is a station on the Leeds and Wakefield branch of the Lancashire and Yorkshire railway. The parish contains the hamlet of Tingley and several others. The living is a perpetual curacy * in the diocese of Ripon, value £265, in the patronage of the Earl of Cardigan. The church is dedicated to St. Mary. There is an endowment by Richard and John Micklethwaite for the education of three children, and an almshouse, founded by ---- Greenwood, for three poor widows. The valuable coal mines and the woollen manufacture furnish employment to the people. There is a farm-house in the parish which was originally a mansion, the seat of Chief Justice Topcliffe in the reign of Henry VII."


"DUNNINGLEY, a hamlet in the parish of Woodkirk, West Riding of the county of York, 3 miles N.E. of Dewsbury."


"TINGLEY, a hamlet in the parish of Woodkirk, West Riding county York, 4 miles N.W. of Wakefield. It is a station on the Gildersome branch of the Great Northern railway."


"TOPCLIFFE, a hamlet in the parish of Woodkirk, West Riding county York, 5 miles N.W. of Wakefield."


"WESTERTON, a hamlet in the parish of Woodkirk, West Riding county York, 4 miles N.W. of Wakefield."

[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013