NOSTAL PRIORY, or (modern) Nostell Priory, (the seat of Charles Winn, Esq.) in the township of Purston Jaglin, and parish of Wragby, wapentake of Osgoldcross; 5 miles from Pontefract, 7 from Ferrybridge.
In the reign of Henry I. Ralph Adlave, that King's Chaplain, founded a Priory here, for Canons regular of the order of St. Austin, in the year 1120; the situation was very woody, and had previously been chosen by a few Hermits, where they had built themselves a little Hall, and an Oratory or Church, dedicated to St. James. The Priory founded by Adlave, was dedicated to St. Oswald, the King and Martyr, to which were granted many privileges. Robert de Laci granted the Monks the wood in which it was built, with two oxgangs of Land, in Hardwic; for which reason, the Lacies family looked upon themselves, and were always deemed, as founders. At the suppression its revenues were valued at £606. 9s. 3d. Speed, £492. 18s. 2d. --Dugdale. The site was given in the 31st Henry VIII. to Thomas Leigh, Doctor of Laws, one of the visitors of religious houses; it afterwards became the property of Sir Richard Gargrave, Knight, who sold it to ---- Ireland, Esq. By him it was sold to George Winn, Esq. who was afterwards created a Baronet by King Charles II. --Burton. --Leland.
The present house was built by Sir Rowland Winn, Bart. in the beginning of the last century, near the site of the old Priory. It stands on an eminence in the midst of a fertile and well cultivated tract of country. The family of Winn is descended from the House of Gwydir, who left Wales in the sixteenth century and settled in London. The immediate ancestor of this branch was George Winn, Draper to Queen Elizabeth; whose grand son George was created a Bart. by King Charles II., 1660, at which time he resided at Nostall. On the death of Sir Roland Winn, in 1805, the title devolved upon his cousin Edmund Mark Wynn, Esq. of Ackton, and the family estates so his nephew, John Williamson, Esq. who, on coming of age, obtained his Majesty's license to bear the name and arms of Winn. He died in 1817, and was succeeded by his only brother, Charles, the present possessor. --Betham's Bar. --Neal's Views.
[Description(s) edited from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson © 2013]