DRUMMAUL, a parish, is the barony of UPPER-TOOME, county of ANTRIM, and province of ULSTER; containing, with the post-town of Randalstown (which is described under its own head), 9737 inhabitants.

During the revolution of 1688, this parish was frequently the head-quarters of the Earl of Antrim's regiment, which inarched hence to the attack of Londonderry; and in the disturbances of 1798, the insurgents were driven from Antrim into Randalstown, in this parish, by the king's troops. The parish is situated on the river Main, and on the northern shore of Lough Ncagh; it is intersected by the road from Belfast to the eastern parts of the counties of Derry and Tyrone, and by the mail roads from Belfast to Coleraine, and from Antrim to Cookstown. It comprises, according to the Ordnance survey, 32,394 statute acres, of which, 11,472 are in Lough Ncagh, and 171¼ in the river Main. The land, with the exception of a few farms, is in a very indifferent state of cultivation; the system of agriculture is, however, beginning to improve; there arc bogs containing about 2800 acres. The beautiful demesne of Shane's Castle, which contains nearly 2000 acres, the property of Karl O'Neill, and for many years the principal Kent of bin family, is situated on the margin of Lough Neagh, and the grounds and plantations extend fir on both sides of the river Main: the mansion was destroyed by fire in 1816, and is now in ruins; the park, which is well stocked with deer, is ornamented with fine timber. Milltmount, the seat of G. Handcock, Esq., agent to Earl O'Neill; Hollybrook and Sharoogues are also in this parish. Coal and ironstone were formerly obtained here, and there are remains of extensive forgen and smelting-furnaces at Randalstown.

There are quarries of basaltic stone, from which materials are obtained in abundance both for building and for the roads. The spinning of cotton and weaving of calico were extensively carried on at Randalstown, there are excellent sites for bleach-greens and beetling engines at Hollybrook, and a considerable quantity of linen woven in various parts of the parish. The living is, a vicarage, in the dioeese of Connor, and in the gift of the Marquees of Donegal, in whom the rectory is impropriate; the tithes amount, to £996.6.6., of which £546.6.6. is payable to the impropriater, and £450 to the vicar.

The church, which is at Randalstown, is a neat edifice in the ancient English style, with an octagonal spire of freestone: it was built in 1882. on the site of a church erected in 1709, and cost. £1800, of which, Earl O'Neill subscribed £300, besided giving a fine-toned organ; his lordship has also built a beautiful mausoleum for his family close to the church, the family burialplace having been at Edendull' Cr rick since 1722. In the R.C. divisions the parish is thead of a union or district, called Drammual or Ra Istown, comprising the parishes of Drummual and trim, and parts of Connor,Templepatrick, Doneg and Kilbride; there are three chapels, of which of Drummuallal is a large handsome building near lalstown. In that town there is a Presbyterian ng-house in connection with the Synod of Ulster, one connected with the Seceding Synod, both of rst class; and the Covenanters have a meeting-h t Craigmore. There is a parochial school at Randa for children of both sexes, aided by a brant from Neill, and six other schools in the parish; also anoool at Randalstown.

In these schools about 330 chre educated, besides which about 440 are taught en private schools agricultural purposes, and some good quarries of freestone for building. The gentlemen's seats are Clonelly, the residence of F. W. Barton, Esq., and Drumrush, of the Rev. J. Delap. The living is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Clogher, and in the patronage of the Bishop: the tithes amount to £415. The glebe-house is a large and handsome residence; the glebe comprises 270 acres. The church, a plain building with a tower, was formerly a chapel belonging to Vaughan's endowed school, the governors of which presented it to the parishioners, on the separation of Drumkeeran from the parish of Magheraculmony: the Ecclesiastical Commissioners have lately granted £105 for its repair. In the R. C. divisions the parish is the head of a union or district, called Blackbog, comprising also parts of the parishes of Magheraculmony and Templecarne, and containing three chapels, situated respectively at Edendycrummin, Blackbog, and Banna. There is a place of worship for Presbyterians, in connection with the Synod of Ulster, of the third class; also two places of worship for Wesleyan Methodists. The late George Vaughan, Esq., bequeathed, in 1758, an estate now producing £1000 per ann., for the foundation and endowment of a school for boarding, clothing, and educating Protestant children, under the direction of 13 trustees: there are 60 boys and 24 girls at present in the school, who, when of age, are apprenticed with a fee to the master, and a premium is given to each on the expiration of his indenture, on producing a certificate of good conduct.

There is also a parochial school; a large school-house has been built in the Elizabethan style by the Rev. Mr. West, who as a landlord has done much for the improvement of husbandry; and about 450 children are taught in nine private schools. There are several raths, and some chalybeate and sulphureous springs, one of which issues from a rock in the centre of the river.

from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.


Description & Travel

You can see pictures of Drummaul which are provided by:



The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.



You can see maps centred on OSI grid reference J0587492643 (Lat/Lon: 54.770535, -6.355675), Drummaul which are provided by: