In 1868, the parish of Raloo contained the following places:
"RALOO, a parish in the barony of Lower Belfast, county Antrim, province of Ulster, Ireland, 5 miles N. of Carrickfergus, its post town. The surface is mountainous and boggy, but the arable land is of medium quality. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Connor, in the patronage of the dean. It forms part of the Lame and Carrickfergus Roman Catholic district. There are one or two National schools."
"GLENOE, a village in the parish of Raloo, barony of Lower Belfast, county Antrim, province of Ulster, Ireland, 3 miles S. of Larne. It is situated on the old road from Larne to Carrickfergus.' The dell has a beautiful waterfall. The church has been recently erected by the Church Accommodation Society of Down and Connor, and is endowed by Viscount Dungannon, who owns the whole village."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2018