KELLISTOWN, or KELLYSTOWN, a parish, partly in the barony of FORTH, but chiefly in that of CARLOW, county of CARLOW, and province of LEINSTER, 4½ miles (S.E.) from Carlow, on the road from that place to Newtown-Barry; containing 662 inhabitants. It comprises some elevated grounds, which command extensive prospects; and in it is Moyle, the residence of T. Bunbury, Esq. The living is a rectory, in the diocese of Leighlin, and in the gift of the Crown for two turns, and the Bishop for one: the tithes amount to £361. 12. 6. The church is a small plain building, for the erection of which the late Board of First Fruits granted a gift of £600 and a loan of £100, in 1810; it was lately repaired by a grant of £155 from the Ecclesiastical Commissioners. The glebe-house was built in 1801, by aid of a gift of £100 from the late Board; the glebe comprises 20a. 2r. 23p. In the R. C. divisions the parish forms part of the union or district of Gilbertstown. One of the ancient round towers stood here till 1807, when it was pulled down to make room for the belfry of the church. The remains of the old church denote an early date; in the burial-ground are some tombstones of the Cummins family, formerly proprietors of this place. [from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.]
"KELLISTOWN, a parish in the baronies of Carlow and Forth, in the county of Wexford, province of Leinster, Ireland, 6 miles N.W. of Carlow, its post town. It consists of two detached districts, one in each barony. The parish extends through the valley of the Burren, and is traversed by the road from Tullow to Carlow. The soil is good. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Leighlin, value £320, in the patronage of the crown and diocesan alternately. The church is a small edifice built by the late Board of First Fruits in 1810. It is part of the Roman Catholic district of Gilbertstown. Moyle is the seat of Captain B. M. Clintock, M.P. Here are ruins of the ancient church, near which formerly stood a round tower, removed in 1807. Here is also an ancient burial-place of the sept Mac Cummins." [Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
The Logainm.ie entry for Kellistown.
The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Kellistown to another place.
Townlands in Kellistown on townlands.ie
You can see maps centred on OSI grid reference S7944169754 (Lat/Lon: 52.773342, -6.82365), Kellistown which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- Bing (was Multimap)
679441,669754and paste it into the search box at Ordnance Survey Ireland.
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)