"Ballyconnell, a market and post-town, in the parish of Tomregan, barony of Tullaghagh, county of Cavan and province of Ulster (12.5 miles W by NW) from Cavan and sixty eight miles from Dublin; containing 453 inhabitants. This place had its origin in the English settlement in the time of Jas. 1 when Captain Culme and Walter Talbot received 1500 acres, on which, at the time of the Pynnar's survey in 1619, was a strong bawn one hundred foot square and twelve foot high, with two flanking towers and a strong castle, three stories high, the whole occupying a site well adapted for the defence of the surrounding country."[From Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)]

"BALLYCONNELL, a market town in the parish of Tomregan, and barony of Tullaghagh, in the county of Cavan, province of Ulster, Ireland, 12 miles to the N.W. of Cavan, and 86 miles from Dublin. It is situated near the border of Fermanagh, on the banks of the river Woodford, which falls into Lough Erne. A convenient quay has recently been constructed, and there is water conveyance from the town to Belturbet in one direction, and to Ballinamore in the other. The town was founded in the reign of James I. by English settlers. It consists principally of two streets, and contains the parish church, a handsome court-house, in which quarter and petty sessions are held, a bridewell, and a dispensary. A police force is stationed here. Ballyconnell House, a mansion in a large and well-wooded demesne on the river, occupies the site of an old castle. Friday is the market day, and fairs are held every month throughout the year, except in November." [Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868 by Colin Hinson ©2018]

 Old Market House Ballyconnell Co. Cavan by Rick Crowley
Old Market House Ballyconnell Co. Cavan
  © Copyright Rick Crowley and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.


  • O'Reilly, J. "Ballyconnell Cemetery Inscriptions Pre-1900" Breifne v. 7, No 25, 1986, p. 498-512
  • Ballyconnell Church, Journal of the Association for the Preservation of the Memorials of the Dead in Ireland, , v.7, 1907-08, p.4
    Robert William Story
    Third Son of the Revd Joseph Story
    Of Bingfield In this County
    To The Memory Of His Beloved Wife
    Sara Ainsworth Story
    Youngest daughter of John Enery Esqre
    Of Ballyconnel House In This Parish
    Who Departed This Life At Carlisle In Cumberland
    9th December 1829 Ætat 88
    Deeply Lamented
    Her Mortal Remians Lie Interred In The
    Cathedral Burying Ground Of That City
    Quis Desiderio Pudor Aut Modus Tam Cari Capitis

Description & Travel

You can see pictures of Town of BALLYCONNELL which are provided by:



The transcription for this town from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.



Beneath Slieve Rushen's Slopes, Ballyconnell Heritage Group, 2001.



You can see maps centred on OSI grid reference H2724218675 (Lat/Lon: 54.116491, -7.58416), Town of BALLYCONNELL which are provided by:


Military Records

  • Snodaigh, P.O. Irish Volunteers 1715-1793, Irish Academic Press, Dublin, 1995
    • Ballyconnel Infantry - 1781, 1783, 1784
    • Ballyconnel Volunteers, Ballyeaston company, Ballyconnell
    • Montgomery Volunteers - 1779
      • Probably another name for the Ballyconnel Infantry


  • Ballyconnell Heritage Group, Annagh, Ballyconnell, Co Cavan