CLONDAGAD, or CLONDEGAD, a parish, in the barony of ISLANDS, county of CLARE, and province of MUNSTER, 7¼ miles (S. S. W.) from Ennis; containing 4650 inhabitants. This parish is situated on the west bank of the river Fergus, and contains 16,436 statute acres, of which 4711 are good arable and pasture land, and 11,725 are improvable bog and mountain. The arable land is good, and produces excellent crops of grain, which, with bxitter, pork, &c, are sent to Limerick from a small rudely constructed quay at Ballycorig.
Good building stone abounds. A seneschal's court is held occasionally at Ballycorig for the manor of Clonroad, in which small debts are recoverable. The living is a vicarage, in the diocese of Killaloe, forming, with part of the rectory, the corps of the prebend of Clondagad in the cathedral of Killaloe, and in the patronage of the Bishop; the other portion of the rectory is impropriate in John Scott, Esq. The tithes amount to £415. 7. 8½., of which £230. 15. 4¾. is payable to the impropriator, and £184. 12. 3¾. to the vicar. The glebe-house was erected in 1812, by a gift of £400 and a loan of £296 from the late Board of First Fruits; the glebe comprises 3a. 3r. 22p. The church is a small plain building with a square tower, and was erected on the site of a former one by aid of a gift of £600, in 1808, from the same Board. In the R. C. divisions the parish is the head of a union or district, comprising also the parish of Kilchrist, and containing two chapels; that for Clondagad is at Launa. There are five private schools, in which about 420 children are educated.
At Ballycorig are some remains of the castle of that name.
from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.