KILBALLYHONE,or KILBALLYOWEN,a parish, in the barony of MOYARTA, county of CLARE, and province of MUNSTER, 13 miles (S.W.) from Kilrush, on the western coast; containing 3695 inhabitants. This parish is situated at the south-western extremity of the county, and, being bounded on one side by the Atlantic Ocean and on the other by the river Shannon, forms a peninsula which terminates in the promontory called Cape Lean, or Loop Head. It also comprises the headlands of Dunmore and Kilclogher, and the harbour of Kilbaha on the Shannon; and its north-western shore forms part of the Malbay coast, on which numerous ship wrecks have occurred. The peninsula is exposed to the whole ocean swell, which here sets in with great violence in west or southerly winds, particularly when accompanied by the "rollers," a periodical visitation. Loop Head is situated at the mouth of the Shannon, in lat. 52° 33' 13", and long. 9° 54'. On its summit is a lighthouse, the lantern of which is 269 feet above the sea at high water, and exhibits a brilliant fixed light from 15 lamps. The parish comprises 9524 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act. The land is chiefly in tillage, but there is a considerable portion of coarse pasture, with some patches of bog. Sea-weed and sand are extensively used for manure, and the state of agriculture is gradually improving. Samphire of superior quality is found on the cliffs at Clehansevan. It is in the diocese of Killaloe: the rectory is partly impropriate in the representatives of Lord Castlecoote, and the remainder forms part of the corps of the prebend of Tomgraney, in the cathedral of Killaloe; the vicarage is part of the union of Kilrush. The tithes amount to £267. 13. 10¼., of which £69. 4. 7½. is payable to the lessees of the impropriator, £83. 1. 6½. to the prebendary, and £115. 7. 8¼., to the vicar. In the R. C. divisions it forms part of the union or district of Donaha, or Cross, which also comprises the parish of Moyarta, and contains three chapels, situated respectively at Cross, Donaha, and Carrigaholt. The ruins of the old church still remain in the burial-ground, and at Ross are those of another, but much smaller. Of the ancient castle of Clehansevan, which was blown down by a violent storm in 1802, some vestiges still exist; and at Fodera hill are the remains of a signal-tower. The puffing holes of Clehansevan are considered a great natural curiosity, and hi a certain state of the wind and tide spout water to a considerable height. At such times the sea is strongly impelled into the horizontal fissures of the cliff, and the air forced inwards by the weight of water suddenly reacting on the spent force of the waves, repels them with a sound resembling the discharge of heavy artillery. The natural bridges at Ross are formed by the action of the tide on the loose earth among the rocks. At Fierd is a chalybeate spring; and manganese, adapted for making bleaching liquid, is also said to exist there.
from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.
The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Kilballyowen to another place.
You can see maps centred on OSI grid reference Q7536450771 (Lat/Lon: 52.594305, -9.839995), Kilballyowen which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- Bing (was Multimap)
475364,650771and paste it into the search box at Ordnance Survey Ireland.
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)