KILCHRIST, a parish, in the barony of CLONBERLAW, county of CLARE, and province of MUNSTER, 3 miles (N. N. E.) from Kildysart, on the western bank of the river Fergus; containing, with the island of Innismore, or Deer Island, 2569 inhabitants. This parish comprises 6845 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, and mostly under tillage; there is a small extent of bog. Sea-weed and sand procured on the shores of the Fergus are extensively used for manure.
Grain and other agricultural produce are occasionally sent in boats to Limerick from Ballinacally. The principal seats are Paradise, the residence of Thos. Arthur, Esq., beautifully situated on the Fergus, of which and the surrounding scenery it commands a most extensive view; and Fort Fergus, of Daniel. O'Grady, Esq.; is also situated on the Fergus. On an eminence in the demesne of Paradise is an ornamental building, called the Temple, which forms a conspicuous landmark in the navigation of the river. The parish is in the diocese of Killaloe: the rectory is partly impropriate in the Earl of Egremont, and partly in Bindon Scott, Esq.; and the vicarage forms part of the union of Kildysert.
The tithes amount to £252. 13. 10¼., of which £83. 1. 6½.
is payable to the lessee of the Earl, £64. 3. 3¾. to Bindon Scott, Esq., and the remainder to the vicar. In the R. C. divisions it forms part of the district of Clondegad: the chapel, at Knockboy, is a small thatched building. A school is held in it under the superintendence of the R. C. clergyman, in which and in three private schools about 140 children are educated.
The ruins of the ancient church still remain in the burial-ground. See BALLINACALLY and DEER-ISLAND.
from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.