KILCONRY, a parish, in the barony of BUNRATTY, county of CLARE, and province of MUNSTER, 3½ miles (W. by S.) from Bunratty; containing 793 inhabitants.
This parish is situated at the junction of the rivers Fergus and Shannon, by the former of which it is bounded on the west and by the latter on the south, and comprises 2709 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act. It comprehends the three inhabited islands of Dynish, Fynish, and Innismacnaughten, which contain land of a superior quality for fattening cattle; and the rich corcass lands on the banks of the Fergus and Shannon yield a succession of 14 or 15 crops without manure of any description. At Isle Ruagh is a small quay, where sea-weed and turf are landed, and whence corn is occasionally sent in boats to Limerick. The gentlemen's seats are Stonehall, the residence of Thos.
McMahon, Esq., and Carrigeary, of Major Creagh, both commanding extensive views of the estuary of the two rivers. The parish is in the diocese of Killaloe; the rectory forms part of the rectorial union of Tomfinlough or Traddery, in the patronage of the Earl of Egremont; and the vicarage is part of the vicarial union of Kilfinaghty, in the gift of the Bishop. The tithes amount to £105, two-thirds of which are payable to the rector and the remainder to the vicar. In the R. C. divisions it forms part of the union or district of Newmarket, which is held by the administrator of the R. C. bishop of Killaloe: the chapel is at Carrigeary.
Near Stonehall is a small school.
from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.