KILCORNEY, a parish, in the barony of BURREN, county of CLARE, and province of MUNSTER, eight miles (N. N. E.) from Curofin, near the road from Kilfenora to Ballyvaughan; containing 335 inhabitants.
The living is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Kilfenora, united from time immemorial to the rectories and vicarages of Kilheny and Oughtmanna, which together constitute the union of Kilcorney and corps of the chancellorship of Kilfenora, in the gift of the Bishop: the tithes amount to £20, and those of the union to £165. There is neither church nor glebe-house, but a glebe of 18½ acres. In the R. C. divisions this parish forms part of the union or district of Carrune. About 65 children are educated in a school superintended by the R. C. clergyman. The ruins of the ancient church still remain in the burial-ground. Near the village is a remarkable cave, the mouth of which is level with the ground: from the interior of this cave, which is of considerable extent, water is occasionally spouted into the air to a great height, and inundates the plain, although it is at some distance from any river or lake, and nearly six miles from the sea.
from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.
The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Kilcorney to another place.
You can see maps centred on OSI grid reference M2422800396 (Lat/Lon: 53.049144, -9.130619), Kilcorney which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- Bing (was Multimap)
524228,700396and paste it into the search box at Ordnance Survey Ireland.
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)