In 1868, the parish of Kilfearagh contained the following places:
"KILFEARAGH, a parish in the barony of Moyarta, county Clare, province of Munster, Ireland, containing the town of Kilkee, its post town, and the village of Lisdeen. It is 6 miles long and 4 broad. The surface lies along Poulnasharry Bay and the Atlantic Ocean. It has a bold and rocky coast, indented by Kilkee Bay and Moore Creek. The surface is somewhat hilly. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Killaloe, value with others; £258, in the patronage of the bishop. The church is an ancient building. There are two Roman Catholic chapels and a National school for boys and girls.
"KILKEE, (or Doogh), a seaport town and watering-place in the parish of Kilfearagh, barony of Moyarta, county Clare, province of Munster, Ireland, 30 miles S.W. of Ennis, and 170 from Dublin. It is a bathing-place and fishing station situated on the creek of Malbay. Since the introduction of steam-vessels this place has risen from the obscurity of a humble village to a flourishing town and watering-place, having, according to the census of 1861, a population of 2,031. It is a coastguard station and petty sessions town. It contains a newly erected church, Roman Catholic chapel, and dispensary, within the Kilrush Poor-law Union. The population consists of 1,898 Roman Catholics, 126 Established Church, and 7 Presbyterians.
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2018