KILLEILAGH, a parish, in the barony of CORCOMROE, county of CLARE, and province of MUNSTER, 61/4 miles (N. W. by N.) from Ennistymon, on the road from Ballyvaughan to Ballyaline. This parish comprises 11,332 statute acres, a large part of which consists of mountain pasture and bog. Slate of inferior quality is found at Donagore. Ballyaline Bay is well situated for fishing, and has a coast-guard station, included in the Miltown-Malbay district; and there is a constabulary police station at Knockfin. Off the coast is Innishere, one of the Arran isles, between which and the mainland is the South Sound, or entrance to Galway bay. The principal seats are Doolen, the residence of Major W. N. McNamara; Arranview, of F. McNamara, Esq., commanding, as its name implies, a fine view of the Arran isles and the coast of Galway; and Ballyaline, of F. Gore, Esq.; besides which there are several other respectable residences. It is a vicarage, in the diocese of Kilfenora, forming part of the union of Kilmanaheen; the rectory is united to those of Kilmoon and Carrune. The tithes amount to £221. 10. 9., of which £147. 13. 10. is payable to the rector, and £73. 16. 11. to the vicar. The church is in ruins. In the R. C. divisions it is part of the union or district of Arranview, or Tuoclea, and has a chapel at Knockfin.
There are one public and three private schools. At Glassie, and Donagore, are the ruins of the castles respectively so called, the latter being a circular tower on a square base; and at Ballynalacken, on a rocky eminence near the sea, stands the castle of that name, which is about to be repaired by J. O'Brien, Esq. its proprietor. Boetius Clancy, a celebrated chieftain, formerly resided at St. Catherine's, where a mound of earth is still shown as the spot where his castle once stood.
from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.