KILLOFIN, a parish, in the barony of CLONBERLAW, county of CLARE, and province of MUNSTER, 7 miles (S.W.) from Kildysart, on the river Shannon; containing 4073 inhabitants. It comprises 3948 statute acres, and is almost entirely under tillage, yielding abundant crops; there is some bog. In several parts of the parish are indications of coal, and culm is obtained at Slievedooly and Clonkerry. The south-western part of the parish consists of a peninsula, projecting into the Shannon, and forming the south-east side of Clonderlaw bay. On Kilkeran Point, at its extremity, is a battery mounting six 24-pounders and two howitzers, with a bomb-proof barrack for a detachment of artillerymen.
The principal seats are Ballyartney, the residence of R. Barclay, Esq.; Clonkerry, of T. Lloyd, Esq.; and Kilkeran Lodge, the property of T. Spaight, Esq.
It is a vicarage, in the diocese of Killaloe, forming part of the union of Kilmurry-Clonderlaw: the rectory is impropriate in Bindon Scott, Esq.: the tithes amount to £284, of which £160 is payable to the impropriator, and £124 to the vicar. In the R. C. divisions it is also part of the union or district of Kilmurry-Clonderlaw, and has a handsome cruciform chapel near Labasheeda.
There are six private schools, in which about 420 children are educated. Some remains of the parish church still exist, the burial-ground of which is still used; at Kilkerin are the ruins of a small church, with a burialground, which is only used for the interment of children; and at Killanna are the ruins of an ancient building, supposed to have been a monastery. In Millpark is a chalybeate spring. See LABASHEEDA.
from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.