KILLONOGHAN, or KILLONAHON, a parish, in the barony of BURREN, county of CLARE, and province of MUNSTER, 13 miles (S.W.) from Burren, on the western coast; containing 1185 inhabitants. This parish consists principally of rocky mountain pasture, affording scanty but rich herbage; a detached portion Naas, on the road from that place to Kilcullen; containing 769 inhabitants. It comprises 3491 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act. Killishy House is the residence of - Graydon, Esq. The living is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Kildare, episcopally united to the rectory of Ballymanny, and in the patronage of the Bishop. the tithes amount to £214.15.1., and of the union to £251. 13. 6. The church is an ancient building, connected with which is a still more ancient tower, which is circular, on a square base. In the R. C. divisions the parish forms part of the district of Newbridge, and has a neat chapel at Two-mile-town.
About 50 children are educated in a public school. A religious house was founded here by St. Patrick, for his nephew, St. Auxil, who died in 454. Close to the churchyard are the remains of an old castle, and near it is a cavern with several ramifications.
from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.