KILLURANE, a parish, in the barony of TULLA, county of CLARE, and province of MUNSTER, 6¼miles (N. W. by W.) from Killaloe, on the road from Broadford to Tulla; containing 2959 inhabitants. It comprises 3197 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, of which about 440 are mountain pasture and bog, and the remainder arable land; part of Doon lake is also in this parish. The manufacture of haircloth and coarse carpets is carried on to a small extent at Bally-McDonnell. The principal seats are Derrimore, the residence of F. Gore, Esq.; Doon, of the Rev. W.
Butler; and Elm Hill, of J. Bentley, Esq. It is a vicarage, in the diocese of Killaloe, forming part of the union of Kilseily; the rectory is appropriate to the prebend of Tomgrany and the union of Omullod. The tithes amount to £204. 1. 8., of which £78. 5. 6½. is payable to the incumbent of Omullod, £33. 10. to the prebendary, and the remainder to the vicar. In the R. C. divisions it is part of the union or district of Kilkishene, and has a chapel at Callaghans-Mills, which see. There are ruins of ancient castles at Monegona, Tierovane, and on the shore of the lake of Doon.
from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.