In 1868, the parish of Killuran contained the following places:
"KILLURAN, a parish in the barony of Lower Tulla, county Clare, province of Munster, Ireland, 2 miles N.N.W. of Broadford. Killaloe is its post town. The parish is near 4 miles in length and about the same in breadth. It contains the village of Callaghans Mills, and the small lake-of Lough Doon. The surface is somewhat mountainous. The Ougarnee stream traces the western border, and the road from Killaloe to Ennis traverses the parish in its S.W. district. The living is a rectory and vicarage in the dioc: of Killaloe. The rectory is held with O'Mullod, joint value £560. The vicarage is held with Kilseiley, joint value £235, in the patronage of the bishop. There is a Roman Catholic chapel, which is united to that of Killishen. There are two day schools. On the shore of Lough Doon are the ruins of a castle.
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2018