KILMACDUANE, a parish, in the barony of MOYARTA, county of CLARE, and province of MUNSTER, 5¾ miles (N. by E.) from Kilrush, on the road to Miltown- Malbay; containing 5738 inhabitants. It comprises 9735 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, of which a large portion consists of hilly pasture and bog. Fairs are held at Cooreclare, or Conclare, on May 6th, June 4th and 26th, July 10th, Oct. 20th, and Dec.
20th, for general farming stock. A court is occasionally held there by the seneschal for the manor of Kilrush, at which small debts are recoverable; and it is also a station of the constabulary police. Dromelly is the residence of J. O'Brien, Esq. The townland of Gurrantuohy, though entirely isolated by the parish of Kilrush, belongs to this parish. It is a vicarage, in the diocese of Killaloe, forming part of the union of Kilmurry- Clonderlaw; the rectory is impropriate in the representatives of Lord Castlecoote. The tithes amount to £304.12.3¾., of which £184.12.3¾. is payable to the impropriators, and the remainder to the vicar. The townlands of Cahirfeenich and Acres are exempt from the payment of rectorial tithes. In the R. C. divisions it forms part of the union or district of Kilmihill, or Kilmichael: there are chapels at Cooreclare and Creegh.
In six private schools about 220 children are educated.
The ruins of the old church still remain.
from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.