The land is in general of superior quality, particularly on the shore of the Fergus, where it is exceedingly rich.
At Carrigeary is a small quay, where turf and sea manure are landed, and whence corn is occasionally sent to Limerick; and at Cahirvane is the ancient seat of James Creagh, Esq. The parish is in the diocese of Killaloe; the rectory forms part of the rectorial union of Tomfinlough or Tradree, and the vicarage part of the vicarial union of Kilnasoolagh. The tithes amount to £126. 0. 3¾., of which £73. 16. 11. is payable to the rector, and the remainder to the vicar. In the R. C.
divisions it is part of the union or district of Newmarket, and has a chapel at Carrigeary. The ruined castles of Urlin and Clenagh still remain; the latter, a lofty square tower nearly entire, was once the residence of the Mac Mahons.
from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.
The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Kilmaleery to another place.
You can see maps centred on OSI grid reference R3638965910 (Lat/Lon: 52.740888, -8.942553), Kilmaleery which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- Bing (was Multimap)
536389,665910and paste it into the search box at Ordnance Survey Ireland.
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)