KILMIHILL, or KILMICHAEL, a parish, in the barony of CLONBERLAW, county of CLARE, and province of MUNSTER, 8 miles (W. N. W.) from Kildysart, on the road from Kilrush to Ennis; containing 3794 inhabitants, of which number, 79 are in the hamlet. It comprises 8089 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, about two-thirds of which consist of arable land of medium quality, and the remainder of mountain pasture: there is also a considerable portion of waste and bog. Fairs are held at the village on May 19th, July 18th, and Sept. 29th; and a court for the manor of Crovreahan is occasionally held at Kilmichael by the seneschal, in which small debts are recoverable. The parish is in the diocese of Killaloe; the rectory is impropriate in the representatives of Lord Castlecoote and John Scott, Esq., and the vicarage forms part of the union of Kilfarboy. The tithes amount to £192, of which £62. 15. 4½. is payable to Lord Castlecoote's representatives, £55. 7. 8½. to John Scott, Esq., and the remainder to the vicar. In the R. C. divisions it is the head of a union or district, which also comprises the parish of Kilmacduane, and contains the chapel of Kilmichael, and those of Cooreclare and Creegh in Kilmacduane.
About 120 children are educated in two private schools. The ruins of the old church still remain in the burial-ground.
from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.