KILMURRYNEGAUL, a parish, in the barony of TULLA, county of CLARE, and province of MUNSTER, 23/4 miles (N. by W.) from Six-mile-bridge, on the road to Tulla; containing 628 inhabitants. It comprises 2129 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, mostly under tillage: the state of agriculture has of late been much improved, chiefly through the exertions of T. Studdert, Esq., of Kilkishen, whose residence, a handsome mansion surrounded by a well-wooded and highly improved demesne, is within the limits of this parish, and adjoining the village of Kilkishen, in the parish of Clonlea. It is in the diocese of Killaloe: the rectory forms part of the rectorial union of Ogashin, and the vicarage part of the union of Kilfinaghty. The tithes amount to £78. 9. 23/4., of which £41. 10. 91/4. is payable to the rector, and the remainder to the vicar.
In the R. C. divisions it is part of the union or district of Six-mile-bridge, and has a chapel near the village of Kilmurry. The ruins of the old church still remain in the burial-ground, and within the limits of the parish are the ruined castles of Rossroe, Kilmurry, and Kilkishen; the last stands in Mr. Studdert's demesne.
from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.
The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Kilmurry (Bunratty) to another place.
You can see maps centred on OSI grid reference R4660970718 (Lat/Lon: 52.785195, -8.792044), Kilmurry (Bunratty) which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- Bing (was Multimap)
546609,670718and paste it into the search box at Ordnance Survey Ireland.
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)