KILMURRY-CLONBERLAW, a parish, in the barony of CLONBERLAW, county of CLARE, and province of MUNSTER, 7 miles (W. S. W.) from Kildysart, on the road to Kilrush; containing 3859 inhabitants. It is situated on the north-western side of the bay of Clonderlaw, and on the river Shannon. The bay is an open but insecure roadstead, near the bottom of which is a creek; and at the village of Knock is a small pier for the convenience of boats landing sea manure and occasionally shipping grain to Limerick. The parish is estimated to comprise about 7380 statute acres, of which 6955 are applotted under the tithe act and mostly under tillage; and from the abundant supply of rich manure afforded by the bay, the crops are very good: the state of agriculture has of late years been gradually improving.
There is a large portion of bog, and in some places coal is supposed to exist, but has not yet been worked.
Fairs are held at Kilmurry-McMahon on the 24th of May, July, and Sept.; and a seneschal's court for Lord Egremont's manor of Clonderlaw is occasionally held, in which small debts are recoverable. The gentlemen's seats are Clonderlaw, that of G. Studdert, Esq.; Kilmore, of Poole Hickman, Esq.; Thornbury, of W.
Studdert, Esq.; Woodlawn, of Jos. Studdert, Esq.; Oaklands, of R. Hunt, Esq.; and Carabane, unoccupied.
The living is a vicarage, in the diocese of Killaloe, episcopally united in 1774 to those of Killofin, Kilmacduane, Kilfedane, and Killeymur, together constituting the union of Kilmurry, in the patronage of the Bishop: the rectory is impropriate in John Scott, Esq. The tithes amount to £207. 13. 101/4., of which £120 is payable to the impropriator, and the remainder to the vicar: the tithes of the entire benefice amount to £516. 6. 2. The glebehouse was built in 1811, when the late Board of First Fruits granted £450 as a gift and £53 as a loan towards its erection; it is at present in indifferent repair. The glebe comprises 15 acres, subject to a rent of £3. 1. per acre; and there is an old glebe of 1a. 3r. near the church. The church, built in 1810 on the site of the ancient edifice, and towards which the late Board granted a loan of £600, is a small plain structure with a square tower; it is at present in a dilapidated state, but it is in contemplation by the Ecclesiastical Commissioners either to rebuild or thoroughly repair it. In the R. C. divisions this parish is the head of a union or district, which also includes the parish of Killofin, and contains the chapels of Kilmurry and Rhine: a spacious and handsome chapel is now in progress of erection at Dromdigus.
The parochial school-house was built on the small glebe by the Rev. J. Martin, the present incumbent, aided by subscriptions and a grant from the Lord-Lieutenant's fund; and a large public school has been lately established at Kilmurry McMahon: in these and in four private schools about 320 children are educated. In the demesne of Clonderlaw are the remains of a castle, formerly the residence of Sir Teigue McMahon. See KNOCK.
from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.