KILNEMONA, a parish, in the barony of INCHIQUIN, county of CLARE, and province of MUNSTER, 4 miles (W. N. W.) from Ennis, on the road to Ennistymon; containing 1767 inhabitants. This parish, though only 3/4 of a mile in breadth, extends nearly five miles in length: it comprises 5033 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, about two-thirds of which are excellent arable and pasture land, and the remainder is chiefly reclaimable bog; the state of agriculture is improving.
In the eastern part is a quarry of limestone of superior quality, used for various purposes, and producing stones of considerable size which are easily detached, the strata being regularly disposed one above the other. Magowna, the residence of Ralph Cullinan, Esq., is situated near the ruins of the castle of that name, formerly the residence of Bryan O'Brien. The parish is in the diocese of Killaloe; the rectory forms part of the rectorial union, and the vicarage part of the vicarial union, of Dromcliffe.
Of the tithes, amounting to £125, three-fifths are payable to the rector and the remainder to the vicar. There is a small glebe of about one acre. In the R. C. divisions it is part of the district of Inagh, and has a chapel, which is about to be rebuilt. About 90 children are educated in a school chiefly supported by subscription.
The ruins of the old church still remain in the burialground: at Shallee are the ruins of the castle of that name, of which no particulars are extant, and there are several ancient forts or raths.
from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.