KILNOE, a parish, in the barony of TULLA, county of CLARE, and province of MUNSTER, 31/2 miles (S. W.) from Scariff, on the road to Ennis; containing 3314 inhabitants. It comprises 9940 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, of which 5913 consist of arable land of medium quality, and the remainder of mountain pasture and bog. The state of agriculture is likely to be much improved, in consequence of the new roads lately made in the vicinity of Lough O'Grady, a portion of which lake is within the limits of the parish.
Fairs are held at Bodike on Jan. 1st, April 2nd, July 1st, and Oct. 5th; and a court for the manor of Doonass is occasionally held at Coolreath by the seneschal, for the recovery of small debts. The seats are Coolreath, the residence of Ralph Westrop, Esq.; St. Catherine's, of D.
Sampson, Esq.; and Kilgorey, of M. O'Connell, Esq. The parish is in the diocese of Killaloe: part of the rectory is appropriate to the prebend of Tomgraney, and the remainder forms part of the rectorial union of Omullod; the vicarage is part of the vicarial union of Kilseily.
The tithes amount to £226. 17. 11/4., of which £33 is payable to the prebendary of Tomgraney, £92. 6. 13/4. to the rector, and the remainder to the vicar. The ruins of the old church still remain. In the R. C. divisions it forms part of the district of Tomgraney, and has a chapel at Bodike. In a school aided by the incumbent about 120, and in a private school about 220, children are educated. Near the southern shore of Lough O'Grady are the ruins of the castle of Coolreath, and of another at Ballynahince.
from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.