It is a rectory, in the diocese of Kilfenora, partly appropriate to the deanery, but chiefly impropriate in R. M. G. Adams, Esq.: the tithes amount to £158, of which £150 is payable to the impropriator, and the remaining £8, being the tithes of the townland of Ballymacrenan, to the dean. In the R. C. divisions this parish is held separately and gives name to the district: the chapel is at Kilshanny. In a school under the superintendence of the R. C. clergyman about 90, and in a private school about 70, children are educated. At Smithstown, a seat of Viscount Powerscourt, are the ruins of an ancient castle.
from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.
The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Kilshanny to another place.
You can see maps centred on OSI grid reference R1284793305 (Lat/Lon: 52.983714, -9.298358), Kilshanny which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- Bing (was Multimap)
512847,693305and paste it into the search box at Ordnance Survey Ireland.
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)