In 1868, the parish of Moyarta contained the following places:
"MOYARTA, (and Islands) a parish in the barony of Moyarta, county Clare, province of Munster, Ireland. It is 7 miles long, and its extreme breadth is 3 miles, containing the villages of Carrigaholt, Bellina, Doonaha, and Lisheen. The surface lies along the coast at the mouth of the river Shannon, and abounds in rock scenery. The principal objects along the coast are Poolanishery Harbour, Kilbaha Bay, Loophead, and Kildrahane lighthouse. This locality suffered severely in the famine of 1848, when a hamlet of Moveen was entirely depopulated. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Killaloe, united with Kilrush. The church is in ruins. There are two Roman Catholic chapels, and several schools. Moyarta Cottage is the chief seat. The ruins of Dunlicky and Knocknagarhoon castles are still remaining."
"CARRIGAHOLT, a village in the parish and barony of Moyarta, in the county of Clare, province of Munster, Ireland, 15 miles to the W. of Kilrush, and 205 miles from Dublin. It is seated on a small bay, on the N. side of the estuary of the Shannon, and was the site of a fortress belonging to the MacMahons, which was afterwards granted to the O'Briens. It was besieged and taken by General Ludlow during the civil war of the 17th century. The ruins stand on a rock by the bay. The village has a small pier harbour, and the inhabitants are engaged in the fisheries and the coasting trade, the latter consisting of the export of corn, provisions, &c. There is a Roman Catholic chapel and a dispensary. Near the site of the castle is a modern mansion, named Carrigaholt Castle, the seat of the Burtons, to whom the village belongs."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2018