OUGHTMANNA, or OUGHTMAMA, a parish, in the barony of BURREN, county of CLARE, and province of MUNSTER, 4 miles (S.) from Burren; containing 793 inhabitants. It is chiefly situated on the confines of the county of Galway, but two detached portions, forming the headlands called respectively Aughnish point and Finvarra point, are situated on Galway bay: on each of these points is a Martello tower. The parish comprises 9558 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, a large portion of which consists of rocky mountain pasture: sea weed is in general use for manuring the parts in tillage. It is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Kilfenora, forming part of the union of Kilcorney and of the corps of the chancellorship of Kilfenora: the tithes amount to £120. In the R. C. divisions it is part of the union or district of Abbey. About 120 children are taught in a school under the superintendence of the R, C. clergyman. On the border of a lough, in this parish, are the ruins of Turlough castle, of which no account is extant.
from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.