In 1868, the parish of Quin contained the following places:
"QUIN, a parish and post office village in the barony of Upper Bunratty, county Clare, province of Munster, Ireland, 5 miles S.E. of Ennis, and 130 from Dublin. There is a joint station for Ardsollus and Quin on the Limerick and Ennis railway. The parish is 5 miles long by 3 broad. The surface comprises a considerable proportion of bog, but the remainder is chiefly good arable land. It is watered by the river Quin, a tributary of the Fergus. The interior is traversed by the roads from Killaloe to Ennis, and from Limerick to Kilfenora. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Killaloe, value with two others £279, in the patronage of the bishop. The church was a gift from the late Board of First Fruits in 1792. The Roman Catholic chapel is united to those of Cloney and Dowry. There are several schools. The village is a poor little place, but contains the church, a Roman Catholic chapel, and a dispensary, which last is within the Ennis poor-law union. Quin Abbey, a very interesting ruin, was founded in 1402 by MacNamara, lord of Glencoilean. The principal residences are Quin Ville, Knopouge Castle, formerly a seat of the MacNamara family, and Castle Fergus. Ballymarkahan and Dangan are interesting ruins."