RATHBOURNEY, a parish, in the barony of BURREN, county of CLARE, and province of MUNSTER, 8½ miles (W. S. W.) from Burren, on the road to Ennistymon; containing 848 inhabitants. It comprises 9440 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, a large portion of which consists of rocky mountain pasture, affording a rich though scanty herbage: there is also a portion of bog. The principal residence is Gregans, that of Fras. Martin, Esq. It is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Kilfenora, forming part of the union of Dromcrehy and corps of the treasurership of Kilfenora: the tithes amount to £100. The church of the union, a small plain building without a tower, erected about 40 years since, is within the limits of the parish.
In the R. C. divisions it is the head of the union or district of Glyn or Glenarragha, comprising also the parishes of Dromcrehy, Glaninagh, and Killonoghan.
The chapel at Glenarragha was originally built by the late Marquess of Buckingham, and has been recently much enlarged. A glebe of 40 acres is allotted for the 3 R use of the parish priest, subject to a rent of £20 per annum; about 60 children are educated in a private school. At Gregans, on the border of the parish, are the ruins of the castle of that name.
from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.