TEMPLEMALY, a parish, in the barony of BUNRATTY, county of CLARE, and province of MUNSTER, 3½ miles (N.) from Ennis, near the road to Corofin; containing 1554 inhabitants. This parish, which, though only about one mile broad, is nearly five miles long, comprises 3781 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act: within its limits are several lakes, and about 100 acres of bog; one of the lakes, which abounds with fish and contains a small island, is supposed to have a subterraneous communication with another lake, about a mile and a half distant. It is a rectory and vicarage in the diocese of Killaloe; the rectory forming part of the rectorial union of Ogashin, and the vicarage part of the vicarial union of Dromcliffe. The tithes amount to £105.16.9., of which £49.16.11. is payable to the rector, and the remainder to the vicar.
There is a small glebe of about one acre. In the R. C.
divisions it is part of the union or district of Dowry, or Doora. About 60 children are educated in a school held in a house given rent-free by Mrs. Craven. The ruins of the ancient church still exist.
from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.