alternate Thursdays, and a manorial court every month: there is a small bridewell for the district. The parish comprises 15,304 statute acres; there is a large tract of mountain, and a considerable portion of bog; the system of agriculture is rapidly improving; the only waste land is mountain, which, in consequence of the improved lines of road now in progress, and the abundance of limestone, will be speedily reclaimed and brought into cultivation. On the ploughland of Milltown is a lead mine, which was formerly worked but is at present discontinued; and among the grey limestone rocks is a vein of white calcareous spar, which has not yet been worked. The principal seats are Maryfort, the residence of G. O'Callaghan, Esq.; Kiltanon, of J.
Moloney, Esq.; Newlawn, of H. Westropp, Esq.; Fort Anne, of J. Westropp, Esq.; Cragg, of J. Maloney, Esq.; Kilgoray, of D. O'Connell, Esq.; Stone Hall, of T. McMahon, Esq.; Knockane, of J. McMahon, Esq.; Newgrove, of T. Browne, Esq.; Tyredagh, of Mrs.
Browne; and Deremore, of F. Gore, Esq.
The living is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Killaloe; one moiety of the rectory forms part of the union of Ogashin, and the other, with the vicarage, constitutes the corps of the prebend of Tulloh in the cathedral of Killaloe. The tithes amount to £380. 15. 5¼., of which £284. 9. 11. is payable to the prebendary of Tulloh, £92. 6. 1¾ to the incumbent of Ogashin, and £3. 19. 4½|. to the prebendary of Tomgraney. The glebe-house is a good residence near the church, and the glebe comprises 2¾ acres; the church, towards the erection of which the late Board of First Fruits granted a loan of £500, in 1812, is a neat edifice with a spire. The R. C. parish is co-extensive with that of the Established Church; it contains two chapels, one in the town and one at Drimcharley. There are five private schools, in which are about 340 children; and a dispensary.
At Kiltanon is a succession of limestone caverns, through which a rivulet takes its course; these are much visited in summer: many petrified shells are found in the limestone, some of which are nearly perfect and very curious. On the hill of Tulla are the remains of an ancient abbey, and of a druidical altar.
from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.
The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Tulla to another place.
You can see maps centred on OSI grid reference R4906381906 (Lat/Lon: 52.885958, -8.757414), Tulla which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- Bing (was Multimap)
549063,681906and paste it into the search box at Ordnance Survey Ireland.
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)