On part of its eastern boundary, near the Dripsey, the soil is very productive; and the lands around Ahavrin are in a high state of cultivation. The state of agriculture has been much improved by the exertions of Capt.
Crooke, Mr. Colthurst, and other proprietors, who have introduced a practical system of irrigation and draining, and the culture of green crops. The glen of Mullinassig abounds with beautiful and romantic scenery; both its sides are richly adorned with wood, and at its head, deeply seated amid towering rocks, is a little mill, below which the river forms a fine cascade, and a little lower falls into a beautiful lake. Numerous large and elegant houses are scattered over the parish; the principal are Clonmoyle, the seat of C. Colthurst, Esq.; Ahavrin House, of Capt. T. E. Crooke, Leeds, of F.
Woodley, Esq.; Cooper's Ville, of W. Warsop Cooper, Esq.; Deelis, of R. Fuller Harriett, Esq.5 Mountrivers, of N. Whiting, Esq.; Kilberehert, of R. B. Crooke, Esq.; the Cottage, of J. Pyne, Esq.; Rock Ville, of T. Radley, Esq.; Ahavrin Cottage, of the Rev. I. Smith; and Carrigadrohid, of the Rev. Pierce Green, P.P. The small demesne of Ahavrin is well planted; and on an isolated rock at its southern extremity stands a picturesque castellated tower, surmounted by a light and graceful turret. The living is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Cloyne, and in the patronage of the Bishop: the tithes amount to £750. 0. 5½. The church is a small dilapidated structure, and is about to be rebuilt by the Ecclesiastical Commissioners. There is no glebe-house; but adjoining the churchyard is a glebe of five acres, and another glebe of thirty acres was purchased at Ahavrin by the late Board of First Fruits, subject to an annual rental, which being too high, the rector never took possession of it. In the R. C. divisions this parish is the head of a union or district, which comprises also the parish of Magourney and a moiety of Aghinagh, and contains two chapels, situated at Aghabologue and Magourney: the former is a large and handsome edifice, in the pointed style of architecture, with a broad, flat, castellated bell turret. The parochial school for boys and girls is built on the glebe adjoining the church, and is endowed by the rector with the entire plot of glebe: there are also two hedge schools in the parish. Near the church is a celebrated well, dedicated to St. Olan. In the churchyard is St. Olan's Cap, a square stone, six feet,high, inscribed with a number of Ogham characters, perfect and legible, with several others on the base covered by the soil; and close to the doorway leading into the church is a large ancient square font of grey marble, curiously moulded at the corners.
from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.
The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Aghabulloge to another place.
You can see maps centred on OSI grid reference W4104380931 (Lat/Lon: 51.977843, -8.85873), Aghabulloge which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- Bing (was Multimap)
541043,580931and paste it into the search box at Ordnance Survey Ireland.
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)