The banks of the river are here adorned with several elegant houses. Oakgrove, the residence of John Bowen, Esq., is a handsome modern mansion, situated in a richly ornamented demesne containing some of the finest oaks in the county. Coolalta, the residence of W. Furlong, Esq., M. D., is a pretty villa in the midst of some picturesque ground stastefully planted; and contiguous to the church is the glebe-house, a handsome edifice, the residence of the Rev. S. Gerrard Fairtlough, Besides the oak woods of Oakgrove, there are flourishing plantations of young timber at Carrigadrohid and Umery, the former of which is very extensive. The living is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Cloyne, and in the patronage of the Bishop: the tithes amount to £738. 3. 11. The church is a small plain edifice with a square tower, erected in 1791, for which the late Board of First Fruits gave £500. The glebe-house was built in 1814, by a gift of £100 and a loan of £1500 from the same Board: the glebe comprises 24 acres. In the R. C.
divisions one-half of this parish is comprised within the union or district of Aghabologue, which has a chapel at Rusheen, and the other is united to Macroom, for which there is a chapel at Caurn: it is also in contemplation to erect a third chapel, by subscription, on ground given by Mr. Bowen. The parochial school for boys and girls is supportedby contributions from resident gentlemen, and a neat building has been erected as a school-house: there are also an infants' school, a Sunday school, and a private pay school, The principal remains of antiquity are the ruined castles of Carrigadrohid and Mashanaglass; the former, according to some writers, built by a branch of the Macarthy family, and by others ascribed to the family of O'Leary: it is a massive structure, situated on a rock in the river Lee, with some modern additions, including an entrance opened from the bridge.
The owner of the lands of Carrigadrohid has a patent for a fair, which is now held in a field in the parish of Cannaway. The castle of Mashanaglaas is a lofty square tower of gloomy aspect, built by the Mac Swineys.
Smith, in his history of Cork, mentions a letter addressed by Jas. I. to the Lord-deputy Sydney, directing him to accept the surrender of the lands of Owen Mae Swiney, otherwise "Hoggy of Mashanaglass," A little to the north of this ruin is Glen Laum, "the crooked glen," now called Umery, through which the mail coach road is carried: it is enclosed by precipitous rocky heights covered with valuable plantations, the property of Sir Thomas Peane, Knt., of Dundanion Castle, near Cork. On the glebe are the remains of a cromlech; and several single stones, called "Gcllanes," are standing in the parish. Raths or Danish forts are numerous, and there are several artificial caves.
from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.
The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Aghinagh to another place.
You can see maps centred on OSI grid reference W3929374537 (Lat/Lon: 51.920196, -8.883078), Aghinagh which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- Bing (was Multimap)
539293,574537and paste it into the search box at Ordnance Survey Ireland.
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)