W.) from Youghal, on the new mail-coach road from that place to Tallow 3 containing 2658 inhabitants.
This parish is situated on the confines of the county of Waterford, and comprises 7629 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, and valued at £3402 per annum. The general aspect is mountainous, and a large portion of its surface is unreclaimed, affording a plentiful supply of turf. The soil is for the most part poor and stony; and excepting the waste, the land is wholly in tillage and only indifferently cultivated. The living is a rectory, in the diocese of Goyne, and in the patronage of the Crown: the tithes amount to £600.
The church is an old plain building of small dimensions.
There is no glebe-house; the glebe comprises five acres.
In the R. C, divisions this parish forms part of the union or district of Killeigh: the chapel is a small thatched building, situated at Inch. There is a school for boys and girls at Killeigh, aided by a donation of £5 per ann. from Lord Ponsonby, who also gave the school-house rent-free, and contributes to another school for both sexes j there is only one pay school in the parish. On the banks of the Turra, which runs through the centre of the parish, is the ruined castle of Kilnaturra, a massive square tower hi excellent preservation.
from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.
The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Ardagh to another place.
You can see maps centred on OSI grid reference X0177283320 (Lat/Lon: 52.002438, -7.974924), Ardagh which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- Bing (was Multimap)
601772,583320and paste it into the search box at Ordnance Survey Ireland.
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)