1868 - The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland
In 1868, the parish of Athnowen contained the following places:
"ATHNOWEN, (or ATHNOWEN ST. MARY), a parish in the barony of East Muskerry, in the county of Cork, province of Munster, Ireland, 7 miles to the S.W. of Cork. It is situated on the south bank of the river Lea, and is crossed by the river Bride. One part of the parish is hilly and barren; the soil in the other part is very good. Limestone, which underlies the surface in the valleys, is quarried largely for agricultural purposes. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Cork, Ross, and Cloyne, of the value, with that of Kilnaglory, of £655, in the patronage of the bishop. There is an ancient church, with a square tower. An abbey formerly stood in this parish, erected probably in the 7th century; some portion of its walls exist at The Grange, the seat of J. Hawkes, Esq. There are also ruins of a castle called Castle Inchy. Here are some interesting caves in the limestone rock, of considerable extent; the entrance is near the bridge over the Bride. The principal residences are The Grange, Sirmount, Spring Mount, &c. Petty sessions are held here once a fortnight.
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2018