There are several small quays on the river, at which great quantities of sea sand for manure are landed for the supply of the adjacent parishes: more than 100 boats are engaged in raising it, of which about 20 belong to this parish. Here are also several weirs on the river for taking salmon. The gentlemen's seats are Rock House, that of J. Gillman, Esq., situated on the side of a romantic glen, in the centre of some highly improved grounds; Rock Castle, of E. Becher, Esq.; Peafield, of George H. Rawlins, Esq.; Peafield House, of J. Minton, Esq.; Ballyvolan, of Walter Tresillian, Esq.; Knocknacurra, of Benjamin Gillman, Esq.; and the Glebe-house, the residence of the Rev. R. N. Perry. Kilgoban Castle, at present untenanted, is situated at the side of the river Bandon, and is in good preservation, forming a striking feature in the surrounding scenery, which in many parts is picturesque and very interesting, particularly in the vicinity of Rock House, Kilgoban, and the glens near the village of Ballinadee. The living is a rectory, in the diocese of Cork, united at a period prior to any existing record with the denominations of Kilgoban, Rathdowlan, and Mackloneigh, which constitute the corps of the treasurership in the cathedral church of St. Finbarr, Cork, in the patronage of the Bishop: the tithes amount to £6l6. 10. 8½., and the gross income of the treasurer is returned at £644 per annum. The church is a large edifice, built, in 1759, and a square tower has been recently added. The glebe comprises 5a. 2r. 12p.
In the R. C. divisions the parish forms part of the union or district of Courceys, and contains a chapel, a large plain edifice, rebuilt within the last five years, at an expense of £400. The male and female parochial schools are aided by an annual donation of £10 from the rector: there are also a Sunday school and a daily pay school.
On the lands of Kilgoban is the ruined tower of an ancient castle, which belonged to the family of McCarthy, beneath which, by the river's side, a great P2 quantity of gold and silver coins, with numerous gold rings, was dug up in 1824.
from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.
The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Ballinadee to another place.
You can see maps centred on OSI grid reference W4979157700 (Lat/Lon: 51.769934, -8.728066), Ballinadee which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- Bing (was Multimap)
549791,557700and paste it into the search box at Ordnance Survey Ireland.
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)