Riverstown House, the beautiful residence of J. Browne, Esq., and formerly of Dr. Peter Browne, the celebrated Bishop of Cork and Ross in the early part of the last century, and also of Dr. Jemmett Browne, Bishop of Cloyne, is in this parish. It is a rectory, in the diocese of Cork, and forms part of the union and corps of the prebend of Killaspigmullane in the cathedral of St. Finbarr, Cork: the tithes amount to £177-10. The church of the union was formerly at Ballyvinny, but was suffered to fall to decay on the erection of a new church in this parish, a neat small edifice, built in 1829, in aid of which £625 was granted by the late Board of First Fruits. It is also in contemplation to erect another church or chapel near Watergrass hill. There is no glebe-house; but the entire glebe of the union, consisting of ten acres, is in this parish. In the R. C.
divisions the parish is included in the union or district of Glauntane or New Glanmore. The parochial school is situated at Riverstown, half a mile from the church, and is principally supported by local subscriptions.
from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.
The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Ballydeloher to another place.
You can see maps centred on OSI grid reference W7506876433 (Lat/Lon: 51.939991, -8.363255), Ballydeloher which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- Bing (was Multimap)
575068,576433and paste it into the search box at Ordnance Survey Ireland.
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)