This parish comprises 4500 statute acres, of which 3576 are applotted under the tithe act and valued at £2460 per annum: about 3500 acres are arable and pasture, and 1000 waste and bog. The land is in general very good and principally under tillage; but agriculture, as a system, is comparatively unknown; the chief manure is sea-sand, which is brought from Menane Bridge, three British miles distant. It has been proposed to cut a canal from Belgooley to the river Menane, and application has been made to Government for that purpose, but nothing has been yet decided.
The village contains 24 houses indifferently built; it is a constabulary police station, and petty sessions are held every alternate Wednesday. The living is a vicarage, in the diocese of Cork, and in the patronage of the Bishop; the rectory is impropriate in the Earl of Shannon; the tithes amount to £260, of which one-half is payable to the impropriator, and the other to the vicar.
There is no church, but divine service is regularly performed in the parochial school-house, which is licensed for that purpose. The glebe comprises five acres, but there is no glebe-house. In the R. C. divisions this is one of the three parishes that constitute the union or district of Clontead; the chapel at Ballingarry is a plain thatched building. The parochial school and a Sunday school are under the superintendence of the vicar: there are also two pay schools in the parish.
from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.
The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Ballyfeard to another place.
You can see maps centred on OSI grid reference W7050956297 (Lat/Lon: 51.758804, -8.427834), Ballyfeard which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- Bing (was Multimap)
570509,556297and paste it into the search box at Ordnance Survey Ireland.
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)