The surrounding scenery is richly diversified and embellished with several gentlemen's seats, among which the principal is Castle Bernard, formerly Castle Mahon, the elegant seat of the Earl of Bandon.
It is a stately mansion, erected in 1806 near the site of the former castle, which originally belonged to the O'Mahony family and was subsequently the residence of Judge Bernard, by whom it was greatly improved in 1715. The park, which is on the south bank of the river and about a mile from Bandon, extends into the parish of Kilbrogan, and is justly celebrated for the beauty and variety of its scenery and the extent and rich luxuriance of its woods. At no great distance from the present house is the ancient fortress of the family of O'Mahony, of whom the last chieftain of that sept, Connogher O'Mahony, proprietor of the seigniory of Kinnalmeaky, fell fighting in the rebellion of the Earl of Desmond, whose cause he had embraced; it forms a striking and an interesting feature in the widely extended and highly beautiful demesne. The other seats are the Farm, a handsome house in the Elizabethan style, the residence of the Hon W. S. Bernard; Mayfield, of T. Poole, Esq.; Hare Hill, of J. Beamish, Esq.; Mount Prospect, of Mrs. Bradshaw; Overton, of Col.
Clerke; Richmount, of J. Sealy, Esq.; and Clancoole, of Mrs. Gillman. The living is a vicarage, in the diocese of Cork, and in the patronage of the Bishop; the rectory is impropriate in the Duke of Devonshire. The tithes amount to £800, payable in moieties to the impropriator and the vicar. The church, a plain neat edifice, situated in the town of Bandon, was erected at the expense of the first Earl of Cork, in 1618, and the Ecclesiastical Commissioners have lately granted £441 for its repair. The glebe contains 9¼ acres, but there is no glebe-house. In the R. C. divisions the parish is united with that of Kilbrogan and part of Desertserges, forming the union or district of Bandon. There is a place of worship for Presbyterians in connection with the Synod of Munster, of the second class, and there are also places of worship for Primitive and Wesleyan Methodists.
The parochial school is at Bandon; and a large and commodious school-house, with a residence for the master, has been erected by the Duke of Devonshire on Cavendish quay; another parochial school at Curravarrahane is endowed with a house for the master and two acres of land by the vicar, by whom also it is supported.
There are also several other schools in Bandon, which see. Of the ancient church, situated to the east of the town, only the cemetery remains.
from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.
The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Ballymodan to another place.
You can see maps centred on OSI grid reference W4757153455 (Lat/Lon: 51.731584, -8.759575), Ballymodan which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- Bing (was Multimap)
547571,553455and paste it into the search box at Ordnance Survey Ireland.
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)