This parish is situated on the old road from Castlemartyr to Fermoy, and comprises 10,271 statute acres, of which 50 are woodland, 1500 bog, and 8721 arable and pasture land; 7514 acres are applotted under the tithe act, of which the gross rental is estimated at £4222 per annum. The land consists of a light soil resting on clay-slate, but is in general tolerably fertile: the principal manure is lime brought from the vale of the Bride. Not far from the village is Ballynoe House, the residence of A. Hargrave, Esq.; and there are several commodious houses occupied by respectable farmers. It is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Cloyne, the former united from time immemorial to the rectory of Ahem, and the latter united to the vicarage of Knockmourne: the tithes amount to £915. 3., of which two-thirds are payable to the rector and onethird to the vicar. There is a glebe of 2½ acres, but no glebe-house. In the R. C. divisions it forms part of the union or district of Knockmourne, also called Ballynoe: the chapel, situated in the village, is a large plain building, erected in 1835, and is also appropriated to a national school. A little to the south-east of the village are the ruins of the parish church; and near them are other extensive ruins, supposed to be the remains of an establishment founded by the Knights Hospitallers, to whom the rectory anciently belonged.
from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.
The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Ballynoe to another place.
You can see maps centred on OSI grid reference W9361988003 (Lat/Lon: 52.044495, -8.093729), Ballynoe which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- Bing (was Multimap)
593619,588003and paste it into the search box at Ordnance Survey Ireland.
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)