In the R. C. divisions the parish forms part of the union or district of Imogeely or Castlemartyr, at the former of which is the chapel; and there is another chapel on the border of the parish, near Ballintowlas, adjoining which is the national school. In the demesne of Castlemartyr, and near its south-eastern boundary, are the ruins of the old parish church, which was built in 1549, and destroyed in the war of 1641. The ruins of the ancient castle of Imokilly, from which the barony derives its name, afterwards called Ballymartyr castle, and now Castlemartyr, are in this parish, as are also the ruins of the castle of Ballintowlas; and near the latter there is an extensive lake.
from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.
The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Ballyoughtera to another place.
You can see maps centred on OSI grid reference W9431270425 (Lat/Lon: 51.886524, -8.083332), Ballyoughtera which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- Bing (was Multimap)
594312,570425and paste it into the search box at Ordnance Survey Ireland.
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)