1868 - The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland
In 1868, the parish of Bridgetown contained the following places:
"BRIDGETOWN, a parish in the barony of Fermoy, in the county of Cork, province of Munster, Ireland, not far from Castletowhroche. It is situated on the N. bank of the river Blackwater, and had formerly a monastery, of which there are some remains. They stand at the junction of the river Awbeg with the Blackwater, and consist of part of the church, with traces of the refectory and the cloisters. The soil is generally fertile, but in parts the surface is mountainous. A bridge, which crossed the Blackwater at this place, was destroyed during the Civil War by Cromwell's troops. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Cork, Ross, and Cloyne, of the value of £175, in the patronage of the bishop."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2018