In the civil war of 1641 a running fight took place between a part of the garrison of Bandon and a body of insurgents, which terminated at Brinny bridge in the defeat of the latter, of whom 50 were killed. The parish is situated on the north road from Cork to Bandon, and comprises 7200 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act. About two-thirds of the land are under tillage, and the remainder in pasture; the soil is good, and the system of agriculture is greatly improved; there is neither waste land nor bog. Good building stone, of which there are several quarries, and flags of excellent quality abound in the parish. The surrounding scenery is pleasingly diversified, and there are several handsome gentlemen's seats, the principal of which are Upton, the residence of the Rev. Somers Payne; Brinny House, of J. Nash, Esq.; Garryhankard, of T. Biggs, Esq.; Beechmount, of T. Hornebrook, Esq.; Brothersfort, of W. Whiting, Esq.; and Kilmore, of W.
Popham, Esq. There are some extensive flour-mills near the bridge, and in the demesne of Upton is a police barrack. The living is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Cork, with the rectory and vicarage of Knockavilly episcopally united in 1810, forming the union of Brinny, in the patronage of the Bishop: the tithes amount to £405, of which £5 is payable to the dean of Cork aud £400 to the rector; and the gross amount of tithe is £1025. The church was wholly rebuilt by aid of a loan of £300 from the late Board of First Fruits, in 1813; it is a neat edifice with a tower. Divine service is also performed in a licensed house at Knockavilly, and in a school-house in the summer evenings.
The glebe contains only eight acres, and there is no glebe-house. In the R. C. divisions this is one of the five parishes constituting the union or district of Innishannon. The parochial school, in which are 27 boys and 18 girls, is supported principally by the rector, who also superintends a Sunday school; and a school of 58 boys and 30 girls is supported by subscription, aided by an annual donation of £3 from the parish priest.
G g BRITWAY, a parish, partly in the barony of KINTALOON, hut chiefly in that of BARRYMORE, county of CORK, and province of MUNSTER, 5½ miles (E. S. E.) from Rathcormac; containing 1098 inhabitants. "It is bounded on the north by the river Bride, and comprises 712 statute acres, of which 3568 are applotted under the tithe act, and valued at £2206 per annum. Of its entire surface there are 646 acres of mountain, capable of great improvement, and 380 acres of marshy land and exhausted bog, the whole of which is reclaimable.
The land in cultivation consists of a light shallow soil, and the greater part is under tillage. Ballyvolane, the seat of Capt. Pyne, is a neat residence, situated in a well-wooded demesne. It is a rectory, in the diocese of Cloyne, and is part of the union of Ahern: the tithes mount to £281. 8. 0¼. In the R. C. divisions it forms part of the union or district of Castlelyons. The male and female schools for Britway and Ahern are near the latter place; and there is a hedge school in this parish, in which are about 50 boys and 20 girls.
from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.
The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Brinny to another place.
You can see maps centred on OSI grid reference W5017559714 (Lat/Lon: 51.788073, -8.722789), Brinny which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- Bing (was Multimap)
550175,559714and paste it into the search box at Ordnance Survey Ireland.
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)