Wood, Esq.; and that occupied by the Rev. D. Dore, P. P. The living is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Cork, and in the patronage of the Bishop: the tithes amount to £650. The church is a small, neat, cruciform edifice, without tower, spire, or bell: it was built in 1829, at an expense of £650 given by the late Board of First Fruits. There is neither glebe-house nor glebe.
In the R. C. divisions this is the head of a union or district, comprising the parish of Cahera and part of Abbeystrowry: there are two chapels, one a large and handsome building at Killeenagh, on a lofty eminence near the church; the other, a small plain edifice at Dromore. The male and female parochial schools are supported by the Cork Diocesan Association, aided by the rector and Mr. Newman; and near the chapel at Killeenlagh is a school, containing about 100 boys and 70 girls. There are also a private school, in which are about 90 boys and 60 girls, and a Sunday school. Near Lisnagle are the rains of a strong castle, once the residence of McCarthy, King of Cork. The ruins of the old church also remain, which the people here call the Abbey of Cahir.
from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.
The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Caheragh to another place.
You can see maps centred on OSI grid reference W0856242982 (Lat/Lon: 51.632477, -9.321319), Caheragh which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- Bing (was Multimap)
508562,542982and paste it into the search box at Ordnance Survey Ireland.
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)