Hide

Cannaway

hide
Hide
CANNAWAY, or CANNABOY, a parish, in the barony of EAST-MUSKERRY, county of CORK, and province of MUNSTER; containing, with the village and post-town of Killinardrish, 1518 inhabitants. This parish is situated on the south side of the river Lee, and is connected with the parish of Macroom by a noble bridge at Coolcour, and with that of Magourne by the ancient bridge of Carrigadrohid. It contains 5414 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, and valued at £4274 per annum. There are about 300 acres of woodland, 100 of bog, and a good deal of rocky waste; the remainder is almost equally divided between pasture and arable land, the latter producing good crops; there are also some dairy farms, the butter from which is sent to Cork market. At Barnateampul is a tract of bog, which supplies the inhabitants with fuel. The river Lee here flows with great rapidity, particularly after heavy rains, when it inundates the adjacent country to a considerable distance. The scenery presents an alternation of rock and meadow, the latter receding into small deep glens covered with wood, which produce a very pleasing effect. The principal seats are Killinardrish House, the residence of R. Crooke, Esq.; Nettleville Hall, of R.

Neville Nettles, Esq.; Llandangan, of S. Penrose, Esq.; Rockbridge Cottage, of Lieut.-Col. White; Forest, of T.

Gollock, Esq.; Oak Grove, of J. Bowen, Esq.; Coolalta, of W. Furlong, Esq.; and an elegant Italian lodge, lately built by R. J. O'Donoghue, Esq. Petty sessions are held at Shandangan every alternate Wednesday.

The living is a vicarage, in the diocese of Cork, and in the patronage of the Bishop; the rectory is part of the union of Kilcoan and corps of the prebend of Killaspigmullane, in the cathedral church of St. Finbarr, Cork.

The tithes amount to £267. 6. 1¾., of which £55 is payable to the prebendary, and the remainder to the vicar.

The church is a plain building, with a lofty square tower, on a high hill about a mile and a half west of Killinardrish; its erection was aided by a gift of £600 from the late Board of First Fruits, in 1814. There is no glebeCAP house, but a glebe of about five acres. in the R.C.

divisions this parish forms part of the union or district of Kilmurry; there is a neat chapel at Barnateampul.

The male and female parochial school is chiefly supported by the vicar, as is also the Sunday school. See KILLINARDRISH.

from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.

Hide
topup

Description and Travel

You can see pictures of Cannaway which are provided by:

topup

Gazetteers

The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.

topup

Maps

You can see maps centred on OSI grid reference W4205770623 (Lat/Lon: 51.885318, -8.842247), Cannaway which are provided by: