Franks, Esq., is beautifully situated on the banks of the Blackwater, which are here richly wooded: the ruins of Carrig castle, on the summit of a rock overhanging the river, form an interesting and picturesque object as seen from the opposite bank; and the whole demesne, in which are the vestiges of an ancient burial-ground, abounds with richly varied scenery. This parish was formerly united to that of Rahan, and on its separation about 30 years since, part of it was added to Rahan, to make the divisions more equal. The living is a vicarage, in the diocese of Cloyne, and in the patronage of the Bishop; the rectory is appropriate to the vicars choral of the cathedral of Christ Church, Dublin. The tithes amount to £270, and are equally divided between the vicars choral and the vicar. A neat small church, in the later English style, but without a tower, is now in progress of erection on the site of the old parish church, part of the walls of which will be incorporated in the new building; the estimated expense is £222. 10., towards defraying which the Ecclesiastical Commissioners have granted £192. 10. 8. Divine service is in the mean time performed in a private house. There is neither glebe-house nor glebe. In the R. C. divisions this parish forms part of the union or district of Killavullane or Kealavullen, at which place, and. also at Annakissy, is a chapel. There are two private schools, in which about 50 children are educated.
from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.
The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Carrigleamleary to another place.
You can see maps centred on OSI grid reference R6082501294 (Lat/Lon: 52.162586, -8.573208), Carrigleamleary which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- Bing (was Multimap)
560825,601294and paste it into the search box at Ordnance Survey Ireland.
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)