The living is a rectory, in the diocese of Cork, united from time immemorial to the rectories of Curricuppane and Corbally, and to one-fourth of the rectory of Kinneagh, which four parishes constitute the corps of the precentorship of the cathedral of St. Finbarr, Cork: the tithes of the parish amount to £330, and of the whole union to £943. The church is a small plain edifice, situated near the river Lee, to the repairs of which the Ecclesiastical Commissioners have recently made a grant of £143. There is no glebe-house in the union, but a glebe of 22 acres and 38 perches. In the R. C. divisions this parish, together with the parishes of Kilnaglory and Inniskenny, and a small part of that of Ballinaboy, form the union or district of Ballincollig, where there is a chapel. There are male and female parochial schools supported by subscriptions; a national school at Ballincollig, in which are about 100 boys and 70 girls; a public and two private schools, one of which is for infants, in which are about 60 boys and 40 girls; and a Sunday school supported by the rector. Behind the church are considerable remains of the ancient castle, and the fine ruins of a more modern house, of great strength, of which nearly the whole of the outer walls are remaining. The turrets, pierced with loopholes, which project from the upper story of the latter building, indicate that it was built about the reign of Queen Elizabeth, but the castle is evidently much older and both were ruined in the war of 1641. At Ballincollig are the ruins of an extensive castle, situated on an isolated rock which rises in the midst of a fertile plain.
This castle was built by the Barrett family, in the reign of Edw. III. William Barrett joined in the insurrection of the Earl of Desmond against Elizabeth, but was pardoned by Her Majesty and received into favour. In the war of 1641 it was in the possession of the insurgents, who were dispossessed by Cromwell in 1645: it was garrisoned for Jas. II. in 1689, but after his flight fell into decay, and is now a stately ruin, with a very strong and lofty square tower still nearly perfect.
from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.
The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Carrigrohane to another place.
You can see maps centred on OSI grid reference W5996170743 (Lat/Lon: 51.887969, -8.582255), Carrigrohane which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- Bing (was Multimap)
559961,570743and paste it into the search box at Ordnance Survey Ireland.
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)