The parish is situated on the new line of road from Mallow to Kanturk, and is partly bounded on the south by the river Blackwater, and contains about 7760 statute acres, consisting of nearly equal portions of arable and pasture landj there Is some woodland, and a considerable quantity of wet rushy ground, but no bog or waste. The soil is generally fertile, producing excellent crops, and there are several large dairy farms. On the lands of Coolnamagh are some pits of culm, forming part of the Dromagh vein, but not worked at present.
Limestone abounds, and is quarried for building, repairing roads, and making lime. The new Government line of road to King-William's-town passes through the extremity of the parish for about a mile and a half.
Four fairs were formerly held at Cecilstown, at which is a constabulary police station, and petty sessions are held there every Monday. Ballygiblin, the seat of Sir W. W.
Becher, Bart., is an elegant mansion of some antiquity, but recently modernised with great taste. In its beautiful demesne are the ivy-clad ruins of a church, whicn tradition states was intended to be the parish church, but was not completed. The other residences are Bettyville, the seat of J. Therry, Esq.; Ramaher, of C. Purcell, Esq.; the glebe-house, of the Rev. J. D. Penrose,; Cecilstown Lodge, of W. Wrixon, Esq.; and Assolas, belonging to Sir W. W. Becher.
The living is a vicarage, in the diocese of Cloyne, and in the patronage of the Bishop; the rectory is impropriate in John Longfield, Esq. The tithes amount to £809. 5. 1., of which half is payable to the impropriator and half to the vicar. The church, which stands on an eminence, and is a plain neat structure, was erected in 1816, by aid of a loan of £500 from the late Board of First Fruits; but the spire was built at the expense of Lord Arden. The glebe-house was erected by aid of a loan of £300, and a gift of £500, in 1813, from the same Board: the glebe consists of only two roods of land.
In the R. C. divisions this parish is the head of a union or district, comprising Castle-Magner, Rosskeen, and Subulter, and has a small chapel here. A school of 50 boys and 30 girls, under the National Board, is aided by Sir W. W. Becher, Bart.,who allows 20 guineas per annum; and a school for boys and girls is supported by the trustees of Erasmus Smith's foundation, who allow £20 per annum to the master, with a contingent gratuity of £10, and £14 per annum to the mistress, with a like gratuity of £8, The school-house, which contains apartments for the teachers, is a neat building in the rustic style, erected by the late Hon. John Perceval, and is kept in repair by Lord Arden.
from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.
The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Castlemagner to another place.
You can see maps centred on OSI grid reference R4315201856 (Lat/Lon: 52.166096, -8.831537), Castlemagner which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- Bing (was Multimap)
543152,601856and paste it into the search box at Ordnance Survey Ireland.
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)