About one-half of the land is under tillage, producing good crops; the remainder is chiefly rough hilly pasture, with some small portions of bog, which is very valuable for fuel. Much of the rough and unprofitable land is capable of being reclaimed; but although new and excellent lines of road have been recently opened, very little improvement has yet been made in the system of agriculture. It is a vicarage, in the diocese of Ross, and is part of the union of Kilkeranmore; the rectory is impropriate in - Foot and - Roberts, Esqrs. The tithes amount to £524, of which one-half is payable to the impropriators, and the other to the vicar. The church is a large edifice, in the early English style, with a lofty square tower, and was built by aid of a gift of £900 from the late Board of First Fruits. There is neither glebe-house nor glebe. In the R. C. divisions it forms part of the union or district of Kilmeen. The parochial male and female schools, at Saroo, are supported by the Cork Diocesan Association, the vicar, and J. S. Townsend, Esq., who has endowed the schools with an acre of land. On the summit of a lofty hill are the ruins of the old church, situated in a very strong fortress, called Templum Ventrie, built in 1298 by the Knights Templars, on the site of a heathen temple; and near it are the remains of another, called Bealad. In the neighbourhood have been found several ancient ornaments and some celts of stone and bronze.
from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.
The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Castleventry to another place.
You can see maps centred on OSI grid reference W3088040482 (Lat/Lon: 51.613199, -8.998558), Castleventry which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- Bing (was Multimap)
530880,540482and paste it into the search box at Ordnance Survey Ireland.
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)