The greater part of the parish is the property of the Earl of Egmont, who takes his title from the townland of Egmont, within its limits. The living is a rectory, in the diocese of Cloyne, and in the patronage of the Bishop: the tithes amount to £550. The church is a plain building with a square tower; and the spire, which was thrown down about three years since, has been rebuilt by a grant of £258 from the Ecclesiastical Commissioners.
There is no glebe-house, but a glebe of 12 acres. In the R. C. divisions this parish forms part of the union or district of Liscarrol: the chapel is a neat cruciform building, and is about to be improved. There are two private schools, in which are about 80 boys and 30 girls; and the Earl of Egmont intends to build one at Churchtown, capable of accommodating 700 children, which will be placed tinder the National Board.
from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.
The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Churchtown to another place.
You can see maps centred on OSI grid reference R4650513400 (Lat/Lon: 52.270162, -8.784357), Churchtown which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- Bing (was Multimap)
546505,613400and paste it into the search box at Ordnance Survey Ireland.
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)